Gone are the days when the motorists have to wait in a long queue at the toll plaza on the highways to pay toll tax. Thanks to Fastag! As India is rising digitally,
What Is FASTag?
FASTag is a smart electronic toll payment system used for vehicles and toll plazas. The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has launched an online system for the issue of Fastags on the e-NHA portal.
The Fastag is issued free of charge for vehicles owned by Central/State Government departments, Statutory bodies, Cooperative Societies, Universities, Autonomous Bodies, or Corporations wholly owned by the government. As of Dec 2019, the government has made it mandatory for all vehicles to be equipped with FASTag.
How Does FASTag Work In India?
FASTag is an AI-powered tool scanner that uses machine learning to eliminate barriers to cash payment. FASTag tags are installed on the vehicle’s screen and linked to the prepaid account for the specific vehicle, making using it at toll booths easy.
Then, as you pass through the tolls, the tag is scanned, and the toll amount is automatically deducted from your Fastag account.
The FASTag puts on the windscreen of the car, which is equipped with RFID (Radio Frequency Identification Technology) technology. It allows an RFID scanner to automatically deduct toll charges and send an SMS notification to the car owner.
How To Get A FASTag?
Since FASTag is mandatory now, it’s wise to enroll in a FASTag plan. Below are the simple steps to get FASTag for your vehicles:
- To get a FASTag, you need to produce an original receipt of sale for your vehicle and submit it with an application form at the regional transport office (RTO).
- You can also get a FASTag for various vehicles like buses, trucks, trucks with more than 10 tons of weight capacity, and heavy-duty vehicles.
- If you have purchased a new vehicle, you can get a Fastag within 15 days of the date of purchase.
- Customers can approach Point of Sale (POS) counters at various toll plazas, Regional Transport Offices (RTOs), or petrol pumps to obtain the tag and create an account.
- Some leading banks in India also offer FASTag services at a minimum of Rs. 499.
- FASTags can be obtained from various retailers, both offline and online.
- You can either link your FASTag to a prepaid account that you can recharge regularly or link to your bank account directly.
How To Get The FASTag Online?
If you wish to get a FASTag toll sticker, there is a simple online process.
- Visit any official website of the bank that offers this tag and go to the FASTag page
- Click on the “Apply Now” button, and you will be redirected to a page to fill in the required details such as name, mobile number and upload your ID proof.
- Once you submit the details, you will have to pay applicable fees online, depending on your vehicle.
- After online payment, you will receive a copy of your FASTag receipt and the reference number.
- You can also apply via SMS/iMobile app/InstaBIZ app/Pocket App/ or log in to internet banking.
- As soon as the bank verifies your details, you will get the FASTag to your registered address.
- You can conveniently recharge your FASTag once it gets exhausted
What Are The Documents Required For FASTag?
For the online application for FASTag, you need the below-mentioned documents:
- Vehicle Registration Certificate (RC)
- Passport size photographs of the vehicle owner
- Required KYC documents such as driving license, PAN Card, or Passport
How To Activate The FASTag In Second Hand Car?
Make sure that if you have sold or transferred your vehicle, you have it FASTag deactivated/closed immediately. Your toll payments will continue to keep being deducted from the source account to which the tag is linked until it’s closed. The new buyer cannot get the new FASTag until the active tags are either linked or closed.
Steps To Activate The FASTag In Second Hand Car
While you sell your car to the buyer, below are the steps you need to follow:
- Sign in to your FASTag account with your user wallet id and password
- Generate a service request for the closure of your FASTag account, and your account will be closed.
- The new owner needs to apply for a new FASTag and mention the phone number in the account.
How To Deactivate FASTag Linked Account?
There are different ways to deactivate FASTag linked accounts or e-wallet. You can reach the customer support service of the FASTag provider and request the deactivation or closure of the FASTag account. IHMCL/MoRTH/NHAI run a helpline number 1033 for solving FASTag related concerns.
Important Things to Remember
There is a one-time tag joining fee of about Rs. 200 charged by the issuer agency.
A refundable deposit as per the fare of the vehicle needs to be paid to the issuer agency.
During account closure, the deposit amount is refunded to the vehicle owner.
A FASTag account can use for a single vehicle, so with a new car, you have to buy a new FASTag.
In case of loss or damage of FASTag, you need to connect with the customer support team of the respective issuer to block the tag.
It applies to all categories and types of vehicles in India.
FASTag is available at about 450 toll plazas in the country.
Toll plazas have FASTag lanes to bypass queues.
FASTag remains valid for a minimum of 5 years.
You will receive an SMS notification on every toll deduction.
A Fastag is a mandatory requirement for driving any vehicle in India. It is basically proof of registration which has to be affixed on the windscreen of the car. To get a Fastag, make sure to go through the application procedure. It is easy and quick and helps in tracking all vehicles across the country.
So, if you are thinking of selling your used car, you need to close your current FASTag account so that the new buyer can get the new account conveniently. Moreover, choose Sakshi Classifieds as India’s trusted Classified platform to sell your car at the best price with 100% authenticity. So, list it and sell it.